Museum Heylshof (Heylshof Museum)
Research into Nazi-confiscated works of art
in the museum's collection
The whole of the museum's collection derives from a foundation set up in 1923 by Baron Cornelius Wilhelm and his wife Baroness Sophie von Heyl zu Hermersheim. All works were acquired by 1923.
Research into works of art missing from the
During the Second World War most of the museum's collection was placed in storage in the museum's cellar. The most valuable pieces and the decorative arts collections were stored in another location. Most of the museum building was destroyed by bombings on 15 February and 18 March 1945. Some objects were stolen subsequently.
Central Registry Archives , Correspondence, 26 October 2002
<http://www.museum-heylshof.de/index_zursammlung.html>, accessed 12 December 2002