Fine and Decorative Arts
Tel: +33 1 40 15 34 77
Fax: +33 1 40 15 35 30
Musée des Augustins, Musée des Beaux-Arts de Toulouse (Augustin Museum, Toulouse Fine Arts Museum), Toulouse
Languages: French, English, Spanish
- The museum’s collection is (partially) available online. The database of works of art currently comprises 3,278 entries and almost 800 illustrations. A full description accompanies each entry, but there is no published provenance information.
o Search options include inventory number, artist, title, keyword, date, technique, and medium.
o An archive of documents relating to the works and artists in the museum’s collection is available at the address below
21 rue de Metz
Tel: +33 5 61 22 21 82
Fax : +33 05 61 22 34 69
Musée des Beaux Arts de Caen (Caen Fine Arts Museum), Caen
Languages: French, English, German, Italian
- The museum has made selected works of its collection available online. These include 15th to 20th century Italian, French, Flemish and Dutch paintings as well as objets d’art and prints.
- Samples of the works in the collection are accessible at http://www.ville-caen.fr/MBA/presentation.htm (in French only). The works are categorized by century and country of origin.
- A brief entry listing artist, date, dimensions, medium and inventory number is provided. No provenance information is provided.
Tel: +33 2 31 30 47 70
Fax: +33 2 31 30 47 80
Musée des Beaux Arts de Rennes (Rennes Fine Arts Museum)
- 242 illustrated works of art in the museum’s collection are currently searchable online as above. These include paintings, drawings, sculpture, prints, objets d’art and archaeological objects.
o Search options include artist, location, keyword, date, and type of object.
o Information includes artist, date, dimensions, medium and a discussion of the work. No provenance information is provided.
Musée de Grenoble (Grenoble Museum), Grenoble
- The museum has made selected illustrated works of its collection available online.
o Works can be accessed by selecting either the left and right arrows or up and down arrows on any given collections page.
o The library holds 30,000 catalogues of temporary exhibitions in France, the rest of Europe and America.
5 place de Lavalette
Tel: +33 4 76 63 44 44
Musée d’Orsay, Paris
Languages: French, Spanish, English
- Highlights of the museum’s collection are available online. These include paintings, pastels, drawings, sculpture, architecture, decorative arts and photography.
- Each catalogue entry includes dimensions, medium, inscriptions (if any) and comprehensive provenance information. There is also a list of exhibitions and a short bibliography.
- An extensive biography of Gustave Courbet exists in the Courbet Dossier: http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en/collections/courbet-dossier/biography.html?S=acc#
1 rue de Bellechasse
62 rue de Lille
75343 Paris cedex 07
Tel: +33 1 40 49 48 14
Fax: +33 1 45 48 21 23
Musée du Louvre, Paris
http://www.louvre.fr/llv/commun/home.jsp?bmLocale=fr_FR – Museum website (French)http://www.louvre.fr/llv/commun/home.jsp?bmLocale=en - Museum website (English)
http://cartelfr.louvre.fr/cartelfr/visite?srv=crt_frm_rs&langue=fr&initCritere=true – Atlas database (French only)
http://arts-graphiques.louvre.fr/fo/visite?srv=home – Department of Prints and Drawings database (French only)
Languages: French, English
- Two databases of the museum’s collections are accessible via the museum’s website. Background information on these databases is available at http://www.louvre.fr/llv/oeuvres/bdd_oeuvre.jsp?bmLocale=en#bddoeuvre1:
1. The Atlas database provides object data on 35,000 illustrated works of art exhibited in the museum. Available search options are keyword, artist, title, inventory number, medium, technique, department or room.
2. The Department of Prints and Drawings database provides object data on 140,000 works on paper by c.4,500 artists. The database includes drawings, cartoons, pastels, and miniatures listed in the original handwritten inventories of the Cabinet des Dessins of the Musée du Louvre and the Musée d'Orsay, drawings from the Edmond de Rothschild Collection, drawings from French private collections confiscated to Germany during World War II and assigned to the Office des Biens Privés, paintings on paper and miniatures on loan from the Department of Paintings, and autograph drawings from the Cabinet des Dessins. Available search options are inventory number, artist, school, date, subject, or technique, or data regarding the history of the collection.
3. ‘Catalogue en ligne La Fayette’ is a database of 1,700 American works dating from 1620 to 1940. It provides the artist’s name, date, medium and dimensions. Thorough provenance details are given along with a bibliography. See: http://musee.louvre.fr/bases/lafayette/?lng=0
- Specialist databases of works in the Louvre and other French museums may be consulted at the Museum's documentation and research centres by prior arrangement. These include the Shamash database of the Department of Near Eastern Antiquities, Jupiter database on the Greek, Etruscan, and Roman antiquities in French museums, and the Pharaon database on Egyptian antiquities in French museums.
A.P. 34, 36 quai du Louvre
75058 Paris cedex 01
Tel: +33 1 40 20 50 50
Fax: +33 1 40 20 58 24
Musée Marmottan Monet (Marmottan Monet Museum), Paris
Languages: French, English
- The museum has made selected illustrated works of its collection available online. A selection of works from 5 categories is available on the ‘Les Collections’ pages in French and English.
2 rue Louis-Boilly
Tel: +33 1 44 96 50 33
Fax: +33 1 44 50 65 84
Musée national Eugène Delacroix (National Eugène Delacroix Museum), Paris
- The museum has made a selection of the highlights of its collection available online which can be accessed by selecting Le muse (The museum) and Les collections (The collections). Each entry contains the date of the work, the dimensions, the medium, the date of purchase and a short explanatory text. A brief bibliography is supplied for some of the objects.
- The museum has made the first part of a catalogue of public sales of paintings and drawings of the artist which took place between 1824 and 1975 available online. The catalogue is the result of systematic research of more than 3,000 sales catalogues in Parisian libraries. The project is ongoing. 5,800 works are listed online.
o Search options include seller, buyer, title, location, and date of sale. Additional search options are available from a dropdown menu.
Central Registry research March 2008