Claimant Information:

How to get professional help

There are a small number of professional bodies to help claimants.

Non-profit, expert, international claims bodies

Commission for Looted Art in Europe
The Commission for Looted Art in Europe (ECLA), set up in 1999, is a non-profit expert representative body based in Europe which acts on behalf of claimants worldwide to research, locate and recover looted cultural property.  It has been instrumental in the recovery of over 3,000 items of looted property. 

76 Gloucester Place
London W1U 6HJ

Tel: +44 (0)20 7487 3401
Fax: +44 (0)20 7487 4211

Holocaust Claims Processing Office
The Holocaust Claims Processing Office was created in 1997 and is part of the New York State Department of Financial Services.It files claims on behalf of those wishing to recover art that was lost or stolen during World War II.

One State Street
New York, NY 10004-1511

Tel: +1 800 695 3318 (U.S. toll-free)
or +1 212 709 5583
Fax: +1 212709 5592

Commercial assistance


Many countries have firms of lawyers who will pursue claims on behalf of clientson a commercial or contingency fee basis, ranging in average from 20%-50%. Claimants should seek independent advice before signing contracts so that they are fully aware of the parameters of the contract.

Commercial Register of Lost and Stolen Art

Art Loss Register
The Art Loss Register is a commercial register of lost and stolen art.  It enables claimants to register losses and it checks missing works against works on sale at some auction houses and dealers in search of matches.

Originally a free service for Holocaust related claims, claimants are now charged a percentage recovery fee.  Claimants should seek clarification of the terms of registration of their losses and, as above, take independent advice on the terms of any contractual arrangement.   

Art Loss Register Ltd
First Floor, 63 – 66 Hatton Garden
London EC1N 8LE
Tel: +44 (0)20 7841 5780
Fax: +44 (0)20 7841 5781


If you require more information or independent advice on how you may be assisted in pursuing a claim, please contact the Central Registry at, or the Commission for Looted Art in Europe at .




© website copyright Central Registry 2023